At Intellimeter, every question deserves an answer, no matter how small. Below are a list of Frequently Asked Questions that you may have. If you have a question that has not been answered here on our FAQ, feel free to contact us for any questions or concerns.

What does Intellimeter do?

Intellimeter Canada Inc. is a provider of innovative metering solutions that deliver real-time, revenue-class energy information. We are also an accredited Measurement Canada testing and sealing facility.

When wheer you founded?

Intellimeter was founded in 1991.

Who are your customers?

Our customers come from multiple sectors: airports, shopping malls, schools, recreation centres, manufacturing facilities, penitentiaries, health care facilities, residential buildings, and a whole range of other facilities. These facilities have a need to monitor and measure their energy consumption as well as obtain other relevant energy cost information.

What is LEED?

Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a third-party certification program and an internationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings. As an internationally recognized mark of excellence, LEED provides building owners and operators the tools they need to have an immediate and measurable impact on their buildings’ performance. (Source: Canadian Green Building Council)

What does it mean to be accredited?

The mark of accreditation by Measurement Canada ensures that the highest standards of accuracy for metering have been achieved and that the conditions and specifications of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-4/index.html) and the Weights and Measures Act(http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/W-6/index.html) have been met. Accreditation is of benefit to our customers, as it is a mark of quality and excellence above all others. As Intellimeter is a certified meter testing and sealing facility it also allows for a seamless installation process, eliminating the need to have another phase of system implementation. Most organizations which are accredited in Canada are publicly-owned utilities and large, publicly traded companies. While Intellimeter is a growing, privately-owned company, Measurement Canada certification has been achieved through diligence and hard work that pays off for our customers.

Why do customers need to know their energy costs?

In order to control something, you need to measure it. We supply the solutions that allow our customers to manage their energy resources and make informed decisions that affect the bottom line.

What is revenue metering?

Revenue metering is when the landlord/property manager would like to bill their tenant(s) for their consumption.

Where can I access meter specifications?

You can download specs, product sheets, manuals and more directly from our Downloads page.

Why have submeters?

You can download specs, product sheets, manuals and more directly from our Downloads page.

How are the meters read?

The metering systems are most often read remotely from a computer using a modem.

What is a data point?

A data point (sometimes referred to as a meter point) is a single value with a particular parameter (ie. kWh, harmonics, voltage, power factor) that is collected from the meter.

What is the role of Measurement Canada?

Measurement Canada has exclusive authority over the administration and enforcement of the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/E-4/index.html) and the Weights and Measures Act (http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/W-6/index.html) as per the Government of Canada. Measurement Canada ensures a fair and level playing field for all those who desire to meter any utility for commercial purposes anywhere in Canada.

When are meters required to be Measurement Canada sealed?

Any time that meters are being used for billing purposes, the meters are required by law to be Measurement Canada sealed.

Do I need my meters Measurement Canada sealed?

If the meters are being used for billing purposes, yes. In other words, if there’s any money changing hand from the reads of the meter, yes they should be Measurement Canada sealed. If the meters are being used just simply for monitoring purposes only or for LEED certification, then no they do not need to be Measurement Canada sealed. To speed up the delivery of any revenue class meter, please ensure that you have filled out your Measurement Canada sealing form (https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/vwapj/IC2538-eng.pdf/$file/IC2538-eng.pdf) and return it to us for processing.

Who completes the Measurement Canada application?

The building owner or property management company whoever is responsible for the meter completes the application. Not the electrical or general contractor. It has to be a senior person in the organization to complete the application (i.e: president, chief officer)

Reagarding existing Measurement Canada Registration Numbers

If there is an existing Measurement Canada Registration Number, additional meters can be added for the original site or meters can be added to a different site. A new application form is not needed if there is an existing registration #. You can look up the registration # or contractor name on the following website:https://www.ic.gc.ca/scripts/mcprod.wsc/cont-four-eng.w If there are any questions regarding the completion of the Measurement Canada form, please contact your nearest Measurement Canada office which can be found on the following website, under the Electricity and Gas section: http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm00212.html.

What is the typical lead time for projects after they are released tp production?

Standard delivery is 4-6 weeks after approval/release although depending on the production queue, this timeline can typically be improved.

Do I need to submit my Measurement Canada forms even though my order status is ON-HOLD?

It is always good to have the Measurement Canada paperwork completed as soon as possible so that once the order is released, the government paperwork does not hold up production.

Why do we need to apply for registering the meters?

If you are billing for electricity or gas usage then meters need to be registered.
The Measurement Canada sealing is required when there is money changing hands typically in a tenant application where every as seen by the meter will be used for billing the tenant.
If the meter is being used for energy monitoring only and no money is being exchanged then the meters do not need to be registered with the government.

Regarding Cancellations

Our standard cancellation fee of 50% will apply to cover the cost of processing, approval drawings, Measurement Canada Registration, deregistration, and our shop labor.